Syllabus: CSE 2813 Discrete Structures, Fall 2009
Exams: There will be three in-class exams during the semester. The lowest exam grade counts half as much as the other two; the lowest exam counts 8% and the other two exams count 16%.
Quizzes: Approximately 9 in-class quizzes will be given. They will be based upon homework problems that are assigned for the week.
Final Exam: The final exam will be comprehensive, and will be given during the scheduled final exam time.
Class Participation: The participation grade largely depends upon attendance, attentiveness in class, willingness to ask/answer questions, preparation for class, and overall attitude. Misuse of laptops could affect the participation grade.
Enrollment: Students taking the class for honors credit will have to enroll in one of the honors sections. After the last day to add a class, a student enrolled in an honors section cannot change to a non-honors section and vice-versa.
Honors Project: Honors students will complete a programming project in addition to the regular class work. Details about the honors projects will be announced early in the semester.
Honors Grading: For the honors students, the honors project will count for 10% of the overall grade, while the remaining 90% of the grade will be calculated as described above. Note that failing to submit an honors project will result in a grade of 0 for the honors portion of the grade, which will drop the overall average by a letter grade.
Students should conduct themselves in a professional manner.
Laptops: Laptops should only be used for class purposes. If a student uses the laptop for some other purpose and distracts others, the student's participation grade could be affected.
Personal Electronic Devices: Students must respect their fellow students and not disrupt class. Therefore, cell phones, pagers, other such alarms, or personal conversations which disturb the lecture are not allowed.
Attendance is required in this class, and can affect the Class Participation grade. I will take roll, and I will list absences on midterm and final grade reports. Students who miss class are still responsible for the material covered and for any assignments distributed.
Students who are auditing the course must attend at least 75% of the class meetings in order to receive a passing grade.
Occasionally students miss exams. Sometimes the student knows about these absences in advance, and sometimes they happen unexpectedly. If you know in advance that you will be absent and you wish to have the absence considered excused, then you must meet with me before the date of the exam, and I will let you know whether or not the absence will be excused. If the absence is excused, I will make arrangements for you to take the exam early.
If you miss an exam unexpectedly and wish to have the absence considered excused, then you must meet with the me at the earliest opportunity possible after the absence, and provide documentation to support your claim that the absence should be considered excused. If the absence is excused, then I will substitute the average number of points of your other exams for the missed exam.
For unexcused absences from examinations you will unfortunately receive a score of zero points.
Grading and Appeals
I will be working with a grader this semester. If you disagree with a grade, you need to provide me with a written appeal. Although you can discuss a grade with me, I generally won't make a decision regarding the grade based on a discussion, but only on a written appeal.
Academic Honesty and Misconduct
In this course, students are expected to uphold the Mississippi State University Honor Code:
Students are also expected to maintain the standards of academic honesty that are described in the CSE Department's Undergraduate Studies Academic Honesty Policy.
This are important policies. Not only will violators fail to learn the course material, but violators will receive an "XF" in this course, and will otherwise be handled according the CSE Department's Undergraduate or Graduate Studies Academic Honesty Policies, as well as the Academic Operating Policy and Procedure of Mississippi State University.
As a professor at Mississippi State University, I am required to report all incidents of academic misconduct.
Grade of Incomplete (I): Following MSU policy, incomplete grades will only be given in extreme circumstances, such as illness, death in a student's immediate family, or similar circumstances beyond a student's control.
No Food or Drinks in Class: It is the CSE department's policy that you can't eat or dink in Butler hall classrooms.
Email: When I send class-related email, I will use your firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
Drop / Add Policy: This class follows Mississippi State University's Official Drop/Add Policy:
Last modified: August 19, 2009